The breast will be flattened between the two plates of the X-ray machine for a few seconds. Usually, the female technologist takes 2 X-ray films for each breast.
After the X-rays have been taken, you will be asked to wait while the films are check, if required additional films be taken and ultrasound breast examination will be done.
* On the day of your examination, do not use creams, powders, perfumes or deodorant in breast area or underarms.
* Wear a two-piece outfit.
* The study usually takes 20-25 minutes.
* While the mammography itself causes no pain, however, due manipulation and compression of the breast being examined patient may feel some discomfort or pain.
* Please leave valuable items in your vehicle or with a trusted person.
* Ultrasound breast screening facility is also available for women under age 40 (if prescribed by consultant).
* If you are pregnant or think you might be, let your physician know, and tell the radiologist or technologist before proceeding with the examination.
* If you had mammograms done earlier, please bring your previous mammograms reports and any other treatment reports so that they are available to the Radiologist to compare and interpret.